Monday, December 3, 2018

Movement

We all know that moving is important for kids.  The research of movement affecting brain activity is endless.  As I teacher, I worked at incorporating movement.  I tried brain breaks, ten minute recess breaks, video dances, but all of these interrupted the flow of our classroom.  The solution came from designing my classroom with authentic movement.

My classroom was a Menu Based Classroom so kids could move from learning experience to learning experience at their own pace.  If they needed to sharpen their pencil, they got up and sharpened their pencil.  If they needed help from another student, they got up and walked to their friend for help.  Sometimes they stood while working.  Movement was 'as needed'.  Some students don't need to move as much and some do.  Movement became a natural aspect of our class.

My seating arrangement also contributed to genuine movement.  When the alternative seating options were presented to me, I jumped on that band wagon as quickly as possible.  Seating options allowed for kids to move more naturally, and with choices, kids chose the best seating for their movement.

-bean bags
-bar stools
-chairs with wheels
-spools (wooden spools that kids turned sideways so they rocked - and cheap!)
-ottomans
-cushions with coffee table
-wooden stools with wheels. 
-REGULAR CHAIRS!

We had to establish rules for our seating.  Student chose seats on Monday and owned that property for the week.  If there was an open seat and they wanted to change, they could.  Seating was not a mode of transportation.  Some of my options could be used to cruise across the classroom, but that was NOT an option.  Haha!

My behavior problems virtually diminished and engagement increased.  One of my favorite stories is having a student who had checked out of the academic process at second grade.  In my class, he chose the cushion and often watched the lesson almost laying down.  It was a shift for me to think this was 'okay'.  He was listening and when he curled his legs up on the cushion and worked on the coffee table... he worked!  He became an avid learner and member of our class.  I attribute it to having options of seating and movement.

One of my great teacher friends is NOT a bean bag type of teacher.  She incorporated alternative seating with grouping chairs differently.  Partners,  Groups.  Solitude.  This offers choice and some movement as well.

Try it!  Go to yard sales, ask for donations, post your quest on Facebook.  It doesn't have to be costly!




No comments:

Post a Comment