Thursday, October 25, 2018

GENIUS HOUR... what is it?




So Genius Hour is now a 'thing' in schools, which is a movement that I joined as quickly as I could!  I dove in by giving my students an hour per week and we worked out the logistics as time unfolded.  However, like I do most things, my clarity came as I went through the process.  The 'What is Genius Hour' came as I analyzed my students spending their time being authentic learners.  Here is my clarity of the importance of incorporating a genius hour.

Adults, who are life long learners, engage in 'genius hours' which adds to their life experience.  I started thinking of my life. 

-My trip to Cuba took extensive research, planning, talking to experts, and had an end goal in sight. 
-When I built a shed, I had to research the project step by step.  I visited building sites to study the process of building.  My end goal was to build a shed. 
-Running a marathon was an overwhelming goal. Not only did it take training, it took planning, research, and talking to people who had run marathons.  My goal was to run a marathon!

When I asked my students what projects their parents engaged in that took learning and research, they had some awesome genius hours!

-brewing beer at home (haha!)
-raising chickens
-planting a garden
-triathlon
-writing a book about their sister's illness


This conversation helped my students wrap their heads around the concept of a project that required research and learning.  Generating ideas that take authentic learning is a challenge and the possibilities are endless!  Because the types of end products are so different, they style of research also varies.  There isn't a cookie cutter method to getting your students to an end product. 

Give them time, have then set a goal for an end product, and support their efforts in deep learning.






No comments:

Post a Comment